This graph only shows income, so the resulting statement (women make less) has no context. More factors need to be included before the statement becomes relevant. For instance:
– Are men more likely to be promoted?
– Are men more likely to hold higher-paying positions in the field, or is the graph for the same job position?
– Have men been working in IT for a longer time (more raises)?
* Every year from 2001-2008, and across all age groups, female IT professionals have earned less than male IT professionals.
* Female IT professionals earn 13% less than their male equivalents; this gap rises to 30% in 40-49 year olds – arguably the peak of most people’s careers.
* It pays dividends for IT professionals and in particular for female IT professionals to hold as high a qualification as possible. The proportional increase in pay for a given level of qualification is higher for females compared to males.