Question: How does racism hurt white people?
- Racism sharply reduces white people’s chance opportunities in life to acquire new knowledge or new perspectives from intelligent or wise people.*
- Racism causes white people to overestimate their abilities and to underestimate their own weaknesses. It prevents them from knowing themselves and stunts their personal growth.
- Racism reduces white people’s chances of receiving help from others in times of desperation.
- Racism compromises white people’s physical safety.**
- Racism prevents white people from empathizing with and understanding human beings.
If a white person takes racism seriously only when it hurts “white people”, then the white person does not see the humanity or equality of people of colour. An anti-racist framework should not encourage or reinforce white in-group bias. Nonetheless, it is interesting that racism actually harms white people.
- fail to see how racism harms white people by Macon D at stuff white people do
- How does racism harm white people? comments at Resist racism