The Three Bears Effect is the name given by Aiyo at the blog Black British Girl for how whites stereotype blacks and Asians as opposites while putting themselves in the middle as “just right” – like in “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”.
For example, black men are stereotyped as having big penises but not much intelligence while Asian men are the other way round, leaving white men in the middle as “just right”.
It works so well in America that in most cases you can tell what the Asian stereotype will be by taking the opposite of the black one:
- If blacks are cool, then Asians are nerdy.
- If black women are disagreeable, overbearing and loud, then Asian women are sweet, submissive and quiet.
- If blacks are lazy, then Asians are hard working.
- If blacks have a lower IQ than whites, then Asians have a higher one.
- If blacks have a higher poverty rate than whites, then Asians have a lower one.
- If blacks have less education than whites, then Asians have more.
- If black women are “mannish”, then Asian women are “ultra-feminine”.